THE MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1024139

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024139 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 23:18:46.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Warmington

National Grid Reference: SP4124047669

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WARMINGTON THE GREEN SP4047 (South side) 9/236 The Manor House 07/01/52 (Formerly listed as Warmington Manor House)

GV II*

Manor house. c.1603. Probably built for Richard Cooper. Regular coursed ironstone in wide and narrow courses with moulded plinth. Stone slate roof with coped gable parapets; stone external and ridge stacks. Through-passage. U-plan with wings to rear. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range. Entrance on right of central range has fine ovolo-moulded and hollow-chamfered 4-centred arch in straight head, spandrels with blank shields and ovolo hood mould. Original studded plank door with strap hinges. Ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned windows with hood moulds throughout, of 3 lights except for 2-light window above entrance and later single light to right of door. Central range has broad external stack with string course and cornice. Left and right bays have gabled attic storeys with windows and finial. Left return side 3-window range. External stack. Irregular fenestration of 2 and 3 lights. Right return side 3-window range. Chamfered 4-centre arched doorway with old studded door on left. Second entrance has square headed doorway, possibly formerly a window, and C20 part-glazed door. Second bay has 3-light staircase windows and dormer. To rear: central range has doorway similar to entrance front, with C20 part-glazed door. 6-light hall window to right has king mullion 4-light window above, and 2-light window above door. Gabled wings have 4-light and 3-light attic windows; right wing has 6-light parlour window with king mullion. Inner sides have 3-light windows, one blocked on left. Interior: screens passage has stone walls and chamfered 4-centred archways to hall and to right; hall has similar archway at east end. Stone flagged floors. Hall has large open fireplace with moulded 4-centre arch and jambs, and moulded shelf. Moulded transverse ceiling beams on renewed stone corbels. Parlour has similar but smaller fireplace and moulded beams. Kitchen noted as having large open fireplace. Some broad-chamfered ceiling beams. Twin timber-framed newel staircases have some original shaped splat balusters and moulded finials. Heavy timber-framed partitions with plaster infill to some rooms have Tudor-arched openings. Numerous original ledged and battened doors have wrought-iron strap hinges and wooden latches. Noted as having a queen strut roof. A fine, largely unaltered house. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.182-3; R.B. Wood-Jones: Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region: 1963, pp.78-82; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.442).

Listing NGR: SP4124047669

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 306352

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 182-3
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 442
Wood-Jones, R B, Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region, (1963), 78-82

End of official listing