CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS AND ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1024145

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 16-May-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS AND ST NICHOLAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS AND ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024145 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 01:18:35.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS AND ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Burmington

National Grid Reference: SP 26362 37946

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURMINGTON SP23NE 7/7 Church of S.S. Barnabas and 13/10/66 Nicholas (Formerly listed as Parish Church of S.S. Barnabas and Nicholas

GV II

Church. Probably C13, with rebuilding of 1693 and mid C19. Limestone ashlar with plinth, quoins and coped gables. Concrete tile roof. Chancel with north vestry, nave and north-west bell turret. Chancel of 2 bays. To east a C19 three-light window in the Early English style, with plate tracery and hood mould with carved label stops. Below, a string course with carved labels at each end. To north a C19 vestry with plank north door with chamfered, shouldered arch. To east a 2-light chamfered window with shouldered-arch heads. To south two C19 lancets with chamfered surrounds. Nave of 3 bays. To south a C19 gabled porch. Pointed arch doorway with Early English style shaft and capital within double chamfered surround. C19 pointed arch doorway with double chamfered surround and plank door. To north and south single and paired lancets with chamfered surrounds. North-west bell turret of 2 stages, built C19 with offset angle buttresses. To north a plank door within a chamfered, round shouldered arch. Above, to north, and to first and second stage west a small single-chamfered light. Square wood bell turret with louvres, and pyramidal wood shingled roof. Interior: chancel has Early English style cusped piscina with moulded surround in north wall. C13 pointed and chamfered chancel arch with 2, possibly re-used corbels, one with a trumpet-scalloped capital, the other with a stylized foliage capital. C19 west gallery. C19 corbels and roofs. Font is possibly medieval, re-worked. C19 Pre-Raphaelite crucifixion panel in north nave window. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.220-221; V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, p.27).

Listing NGR: SP2636237946

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 306372

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 27
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 220-221

End of official listing