THE CASTLE INN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1024196

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: THE CASTLE INN

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CASTLE INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024196 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 23:54:16.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CASTLE INN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Radway

National Grid Reference: SP 37370 47425

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The Grade shall be amended to II*

In the entry for:-

SP34NE RADWAY EDGEHILL 3/80 The Castle Inn (formerly listed as Edge Hill Tower) GV

The Grade shall be amended to II*

RADWAY EDGEHILL SP34NE 3/80 The Castle Inn 07/01/52 (Formerly listed as Edge Hill Tower)

GV II

Shown on O.S. map as Edgehill Tower. Ornamental sham castle, now public house. c.1746-1747, with mid/late C19 additions. Designed by Sanderson Miller for himself. Ironstone ashlar. Roof of tower not visible; C19 additions have hipped tile roofs and brick lateral and ridge stacks. Octagonal tower, with C19 wing to left and rear additions. Castellated Gothick style. 5 storeys to front, 6 to rear due to steeply sloping site. Single storey addition to front has shallow gable, moulded cornice and solid stone roof. Pointed arched doorway with C20 door. First floor has cinqfoil window. Second floor has corbels formerly supporting bridge to gateway (q.v.), now a separate structure. Ogee arched doorway set in round arch, with shield above; C20 plank door. Lancets, moulded 4-centred lancets with glazing bars and 2-light windows with Y-tracery. Right return side has blind quatrefoil on ground floor. To rear canted sides have blind cross-slits on first floor. Machicolated battlements. C19 wing. 2 storeys, 3-window range. Entrance on right has pointed arch and plank door. Double-chamfered lancet above 2-light windows with plate tracery of lancets and blind quatrefoil in outer chamfered order. Crenellated parapet. Left return side has one-window range with similar tracery, 3-light on ground floor. Further 2-window range set back as arched doorway and lancets. Interior: ground floor unaltered. Second floor of tower noted as having octagonal room with Gothick plaster decoration. The Castle was part of Miller's work on his Radway Grange property, including the erection of Egge Cottage (q.v.), with which it forms a group. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.380; V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, p.142).

Listing NGR: SP3737047425

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 306191

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 142
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 380

End of official listing