This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RADWAY INSTITUTE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RADWAY INSTITUTE

List entry Number: 1024199

Location

RADWAY INSTITUTE, TYSOE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Radway

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 306198

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RADWAY TYSOE ROAD (North side)

SP3648 8/87

Radway Institute

GV II

Village hall. Dated 1852. Built for and endowed by John Chambers. Regular coursed ironstone. Tile roofs have coped gable parapets with kneelers. L-plan with main range at right angles to road. Gothic Revival style. One-bay entrance front. Central gabled porch has 6-panelled double-leaf door in chamfered Tudor arched doorway with straight head and moulded spandrels. Datestone above has shield with initials CC, RN and JC. Hollow-chamfered 4-centred lancet in square chamfered surround with moulded spandrels. Door and windows throughout have hood moulds and foliage-carved block stops. Quatrefoil shield panel in gable apex. Return sides have windows of 3 lancets in square heads with moulded spandrels. Left side: 2-window range. Small wing at right angles has late C20 glazed double doors. Right side to Kineton Road: 3-window range. Built as 'The Church Institute, for the encouragement of general literature' (Kelly), on a site given by Charles Chambers, who built and endowed the school (now The School House q.v.). (Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1892, p.169).

Listing NGR: SP3713648273

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Warwickshire, (1892), 169

National Grid Reference: SP3713648273

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024199 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 05:44:38.

End of official listing