WOAD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1024223

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: WOAD HOUSE, BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOAD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024223 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Dec-2018 at 22:41:14.

Location

Statutory Address: WOAD HOUSE, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Fenny Compton

National Grid Reference: SP4155852238

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FENNY COMPTON BRIDGE STREET SP4052 (West side) 6/38 Woad House 30/05/67 (Formerly listed as Woad House and adjoining barn)

GV II*

House. C14 wing; dated 1593; C18 alterations. Regular coursed ironstone. Tile roof; brick end and ridge stacks. T-plan, with cross wing on left. 2 storeys; 4-window range. Entrance in corner has late C17/C18 doorway, with moulded eared architrave, entablature and central console, and moulded cornice breaking forward in centre. Ribbed door. Stone-mullioned windows, partly renewed, with hood moulds on ground floor. Wing has 5-light windows. First floor has good Decorated window, possibly re-set, of 2 trefoiled lights with mullion continued to apex, and mouchettes. Hood mould with remains of carved stops. Main range has 3-light windows to right and above entrance, and 2-light windows. To rear: wing has datestone, now barely legible, and no windows. Interior: hall has large open fireplace with stop chamfered bressumer. Broad-chamfered cross beams have stops and carving. Stone 4 centre-arched doorway. Old plank doors. C17 open well staircase has turned balusters. Kitchen has wide open fireplace with bread oven.

(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.I, p.47; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.294).

Listing NGR: SP4155852238

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 306148

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Bedford, (1904), 47
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 294

End of official listing