Details
LONG COMPTON
SP 28 32
MAIN STREET
(West side)
1748/11/101
White Hart Cottage
and Night Bell Cottage
9.4.87 GV II 2 houses, now a single dwelling. Range to south dated 1766 with single bay addition later C18. Range to north C18. Early and late C19, early, mid and late C20 additions and alterations. Rehabilitated early C20. Range to south, coursed squared limestone-with plain tile roof. Coped stone gable stack to south. Stone ridge and gable stacks to north, with C19 brick copings. 2 storeys plus attics: 3 window range. Windows are mainly C18 and C19 casements with leaded glazing and wooden lintels. Later C20 gabled stone porch with board door. To left, single window and to right, 2 windows. Similar fenestration above. Over the door, a datestone inscribed WJM 1766, with hood. Attics have two C19 gabled dormers with leaded casements, that to right partly reglazed. Range to south, coursed squared stone with concrete tile roof. 2 storeys plus attics. To left, later C20 gabled wooden porch" covering early C 19 close boarded door. To right, two early C19 2-light casements with leaded glazing and wooden lintels. Above, C19 gabled dormer with iron framed 2-light casement. Rear elevation has C19 lean-to additions, and late C20 gabled wing to south. INTERIOR: Range to south has main ground floor rooms combined. Chamfered spine beams, that to north with stops, and exposed joists. Principal fireplace with moulded bressumer. At the north end of this range, a ceiled room with chamfered spine beam and principal fireplace with bressumer cut down and C19 hearth inserted. First floor has chamfered spine beams and exposed joists to south. Ceiled room to north, with chamfered spine beam and stops. Early C19 hob grates with plain wooden surrounds at north and south ends. Attics have principal rafter roof with double purlins and ridge board. Northern range has ceiled ground floor room with plain chamfered span beams. 2 close boarded doors. Mid C20 stair. First floor has mid C20 partitions and fittings and windows to rear only. Attics have double purlin common rafter roof, ceiled in, and C18 plank door. SOURCES: The Victoria History of the Counties of England (H Arthur Doubleday and William Page), 1949, Vol 5, Page 53. Listing NGR: SP2881432712
Legacy
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number:
306035
Legacy System:
LBS
Sources
Books and journals Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 53
Legal
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official list entry
Print the official list entry