BARTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1024306

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: BARTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024306 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 16:45:30.

Location

Statutory Address: BARTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Barton-on-the-Heath

National Grid Reference: SP 25611 32623

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARTON ON THE HEATH SP2532 10/1 Barton House 02/09/52 (Formerly listed as Barton House and entrance gates)

GV II*

Manor house. Probably late C16 with early C17 alterations and additions. Possibly remodelled by Inigo Jones, c.1612. Limestone ashlar with chamfered plinth, moulded storey bands to first and second floors, quoins and moulded coped gables with ball and obelisk finials. Parapet to central range. Stone-slate roofs with polygonal stone end stacks with moulded bases and cornices. H-shaped plan. 2 storeys plus attic; 5-window range. Late C16 four-light mullioned windows with king mullion to ground and first floors of gabled wings, and to first floor centre of central range. 3-light mullioned windows to attic storeys of gabled wings, to first floor centre left and centre right of central range, and to 3 full gabled dormers of central range and full gabled dormers of gabled wings. Attic storey mullioned windows have hood moulds and labels. C17 two-storey porch towers in angles between central range and gabled wings have a 4-light mullioned and transomed window to each floor. C17 moulded archway, flush with porch towers, has a 2-light mullioned and transomed window to either side with chamfered lights above. Modillion moulded eaves cornice with ball finials and carved arms to centre. 6-light hollow-chamfered mullioned and transomed hall window within archway to ground floor. To either side a C19 timber door with ovolo- and ogee-moulded arched surround with carved keyblock. Moulded pediment above each door has carved arms to centre and is supported on C17 pilasters on moulded capitals. Foliage carving in spandrels. To rear of central range one 4-light mullioned window with king mullion and 2 transoms to right, with a 3-light mullioned window with 2 transoms to centre. Further 6-light mullioned window and 4- and 3-light mullioned windows. 3 gabled dormers. Large projecting lateral stack with 3 moulded flues. C17 moulded round-arched doorway with carved keyblock and C19 door. Rear of right gabled wing has late C16 six-light mullioned and transomed window with king mullion and further 6-light mullioned window to first floor. Canted bays to ground and first floors of rear of left gabled wing. Left facade of gabled wing has further 2- and 3-light mullioned windows and 2 large projecting stacks with moulded flues. 4-centred arched doorway to centre with ogee-and ovolo-moulded surround and flat moulded stone hood on carved consoles. Tudor-arched niche with moulded surround to immediate right. Right gabled wing has original 2-storey stone gabled brewhouse with 2- and 3-light mullioned windows attached to house by a late C19 stone range with imitative mullioned windows. Original 4-centred arched doorway to centre right of brewhouse is part restored. Interior: in kitchen in right gabled wing a large arched stone fireplace with original wood mantel and spit iron rack. Double ovolo-moulded spine beam. Dining room has C17 oak-panelling with modillion cornice. C17 plaster ceiling with simple oval and diamond-shaped and floral and foliage mouldings. 4-centred stone fireplace with moulded surround. Panelled door. Dog-leg staircase with flat balusters. 4-centred arched doorways with many-moulded surround and heavily moulded stops. In central range C17 stone round arches with carved keyblocks and panelled undersides. In hall a large 4-centred arched stone fireplace with heavily moulded surround, moulded over-mantel and heavily-moulded hood. in left gabled wing an open-well staircase rising to attics, said to be by Inigo Jones. Heavy moulded balusters and rail. The 'Lords parlour' has late C16 heavily-moulded panelling with carved cornice and pilasters rising to ceiling. 4-centred arched stone fireplace with C17 carved overmantel. Double-ovolo-moulded spine beam. C17 moulded panelled doors. Billiard room in rear of left gabled wing has 3 double-ovolo-moulded spine beams and a 4-centred arched stone fireplace with moulded surround and original mantel. First floor said to have oak panelled room and spine beams. Ogee- and bar- stop-chamfered spine beams in brewhouse. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.V, pp.13-14; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.87).

Listing NGR: SP2561132623

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 305936

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 13-14
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 87

End of official listing