Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024326.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:34:10.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Great Wolford
National Grid Reference:
SP 25027 34586


GREAT WOLFORD SP23SE 5/48 Church of St. Michael


Church. Completely rebuilt 1833. Restored 1885. Limestone ashlar with slate roof. Chancel, nave and west tower. Short chancel of one bay with moulded plinth, clasped buttresses with polygonal pinnacles, moulded eaves cornice and coped parapet with cross at apex of east gable. To east a window in C15 style of 4 cusped lights and tracery. Hood mould with carved head lables. Moulded string course directly below window. To south a vestry with square-headed window to east and doorway with 4-centred arch to south. Window and door have hood mould with labels. To north a stone lean-to shed with C20 tile roof. North plank door with 2 rectangular lights to right. Nave of 5 bays with moulded plinth, offset buttresses, moulded eaves cornice and coped parapet. To north and south five windows in late C13 style, each of 2 cusped, pointed, lights and Y-tracery in chamfered surround. Hood moulds with carved foliage and carved-head labels. To west wall of nave a blind window in C13 style of 2 lights and Y-tracery. West tower of 4 stages with moulded plinth, moulded string course to second and third stages, and offset buttresses rising to fourth stage. Moulded eaves cornice with coped parapet above. Tall octagonal spire with ribbed angle and moulded finial. To west a doorway with chamfered surround and hood mould with carved head labels. Plank door. To north and south a lancet with hood mould and carved head labels. To left of south window a doorway with hood mould and carved head labels. To south of second stage, below a moulded weather-course, a window in C15 style of 3 cusped lights and tracery. Hood mould with carved labels. To west, south and north of third stage a rectangular light. To bell-chamber stage 4 windows in C13 style, each of 2 lights and Y-tracery. Hood moulds with carved head labels. One tier of lucarnes with 2 cusped lights. Interior: C19 low-pitched roofs, that to nave with braces and carved spandrels. To south wall of chancel a marble wall table to Aston Ingram who died 1711. To north wall of chancel a marble wall table to Hastings Ingram and Ann, his wife. This tablet is probably late C17 or early C18, and is surmounted by a crest. Two C19 tablets in east wall. In south wall of nave a tablet, inscribed in Latin to Hastings Ingram, who died in 1665. Above west door a tablet to Barbara Ingram, who died in 1745. C19 polygonal stone font with carved panels. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, p.217; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.300).

Listing NGR: SP2502734586


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 217
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 300


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/08573/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Harry Lomax. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].