PARISH CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1024351
Date first listed:
22-Sep-1981
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN)

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024351.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:02:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Compton Wynyates
National Grid Reference:
SP 33008 41926

Details

COMPTON WYNYATES SP34SW 3/74 Parish Church (dedication 22/09/81 unknown)

GV I

Church. Nearly entirely rebuilt c.1665. Ashlar ironstone. Stone plinth. Steeply pitched M-shaped roof: Stone slate to diminishing courses to front and C20 tile to rear. Stone coped gables. Double-nave and west tower plan. 2 round-headed east windows of 3 lights with cusped heads and hood moulds with lozenge shaped label stops. North and south sides of naves each have two 4-light windows with cusped heads, hood moulds and label stops. Buttresses between. South doorway has stone surround with alternating rustication. Plank door. West tower. 3 stages. Pointed arched 2-light windows with Y tracery, hood moulds and label stops to belfry. Embattled parapet with gargoyles. String courses. Angle buttresses. Interior: the 2 naves are separated by a 4-bay arcade with quatrefoil piers. Renewed roofs. 3-sided C18 communion rail. Pulpit with ogee sounding board c.1720. C18 box pews. Stone font with oval bowl, baluster stem and wooden cover probably late C17. Set of 17 hatchments. A number of damaged C15,alabaster effigies of the Conpton family including a lady C15, Sir Thomas Compton d.1528, Knight late C16, 2 ladies late C16. Marble wall tablet to Sir William Compton d.1663. Vases in broken segmental pediment. Brass floor plaque to Sir William Compton dated 1663. Fragments of original painted plaster ceiling exhibited on west wall include representations of night and day. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, p.242; Guidebook to Compton Wynyates, p.21; V.C.H.; Warwickshire, Vol.V, pp.60-67).



Listing NGR: SP3300841929

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
305837
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Guidebook to Compton Wynyates21
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 60-67
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 242

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07406/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].