THE MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1024410

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jun-1986

Statutory Address: THE MANOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024410 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 03:56:40.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Barcheston

National Grid Reference: SP2643839819

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARCHESTON SP2639 13/7 The Manor 13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Manor Farmhouse)

GV II

Manor house, now house. Probably late C16/early C17 with later additions. Ashlar limestone and coursed squared limestone rubble. Steeply pitched slate roof laid to diminishing courses. Stone ridge and brick end stacks. Stone coped gable to left. Complex plan. Main 2-storey early part with lower single-storey-plus-attic range to right and brick range on stone footings to rear. Main part. 2 storeys. 3-window range. Entrance to right has panelled door with moulded wood door-frame and overlight. 4-light stone mullioned and transomed window to left. First floor has two 2-light and a 4-light stone mullioned and transomed windows. Moulded band above ground floor and first floor windows. Stone plinth. Lighter stone quoins. 2-window single-storey-plus-attic stone range to right. Interior: Chamfered beams. 4-centred stone fireplaces on both floors. Dog-leg staircase. Stud partition in first floor room. Stone flag floors. Plank door with 4-centred arched wood doorway. William Sheldon is noted as setting up his looms here in C16 to manufacture the famous Sheldon Tapestries. (Humphreys, J. Elizabethan Tapestries, 1929; Society of Antiquaries, Second Series, Vol XXXVIII, Archaeologia, p.272; V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol. V, 1949, p.5).



Listing NGR: SP2643839819

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 305770

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 5
Humphreys, J, Elizabethan Tapestries, (1929)
'Archaeologia' in Archaeologia, , Vol. 38, (), 272

End of official listing