CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, HACKWELL HILL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024444.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:10:20.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, HACKWELL HILL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
- Napton on the Hill
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 46309 61281
NAPTON ON THE HILL HACKWELL HILL Church of St. Lawrence
GII* Church.C.1200;partly rebuilt and aisles added C13;transepts C.1275(Buildings of England).South porch late C16/C17.(V.C.H.).Lower stage of tower C.1300(Buildings of England);altered and top stage added mid C18.Restored,clerestory added and re-roofed 1861 by J.Croft.Regular coursed ironstone;north transept of coursed squared rubble;chancel north and north aisle west walls of rubble.Chancel,nave,transepts and porch have tile roofs with moulded coped gable parapets;nave and south transepts have ridge cresting.Aisles have shallow lean-to roofs,probably of lead,with moulded cornices and parapets.Aisled cruciform plan with west tower,south porch and north vestry.Three-bay chancel,four-bay nave.Chancel rids splayed plinth.Full-height angle buttresses with two offsets;first offset and gable parapet have gablets.Four-light Perpendicular east window has hood mould with return stops.Central mid C19,south door has chamfered segmental arch under straight-head with hood mould.Sundial below eaves.Two mid C19 paired lancets have hood moulds with head stops and carved grapes.Three widely-spaced small Romanesque north windows in irregular block surrounds.North transept has single and triple stepped east lancets.North window has round super-arch with shafts and three stepped trefoiled lancets.West lancet.C19 moulded gable parapet has kneelers with gablets and leaf carving,and cross finial.South transept has moulded plinth and diagonal buttresses.C19 two-light east window with hood mould.Three stepped trefoiled individual south lancets within round relieving arch.Gable has aid C19 trefoil and relieving arch.South porch has moulded arch and imposts,and hood mould with lozenge stops.Blocked low segmental-pointed arched windows,larger to east,have inside C12 or early C13 shafts and coarse Perpendicular tracery(Buildings of England).Stone benches.Queen strut roof with moulded tie beams and north wall plate.South doorway C.1200 has round arch with large roll mouldings and hood mould,and remains of stiff-leaf capitals;nook shafts missing.C19 half-glazed double-leaf doors with glazing bars.South aisle has diagonal buttress.Partly-renewed two-light straight-headed Decorated windows east and west of porch.West lancet.North aisle has shallow C16/C17 projection between transept and vestry.Partly-renewed three-light chamfered mullioned window.Small window built out across north-west angle.West lancet.North and south clerestories have quatrefoil,trefoil and octofoil windows.Small,low vestry has north gable and splayed cornice.Small straight headed Decorated north window.Buttress with three offsets in west angle between aisle and vestry.Tower of two stages has high splayed plinth.West angles have Tuscan piers to first stage.String course.Round arched south door,window above and west window.Second stage has round-arched bell openings with Y-tracery,and transom inserted;bottom part blocked to east. Moulded cornice and parapet of three sunk panels,with moulded coping and obelisk and ball pinnacles.Interior:plastered walls.Chancel has squint with trefoiled lancet to south transept.Gothic king post roof with pendants and moulded stone corbels and subsidiary shallow scissor braces between bays.Three-quarter length C13 chancel arch of two major and two minor chamfered orders with moulded responds,splayed back into wall below.South-east splay has small amount of diaper work and carved head.Nave has four-bay arcades of two chamfered orders,and octagonal piers with moulded capitals of varying designs.The slightly earlier north arcade has no east respond,and the north-east pier has a round capital.Blocked tower arch of three chamfered orders.Hammer beam-type roof,but with tie-beam in place of hammer beam.Moulded stone corbels.Subsidiary principal rafters between bays.North transept has C19 double piscina.Medieval altar slab.Pair of C13 round arched tomb recesses in north wall.North window has C19 Early English style arches and detached shafts with hood mould;outer hood mould with head stops.Roof has alternating arched brace and plain rafter and collar trusses with wall pieces and moulded wall plates.South transept has Gothic cusped rafters.North aisle has flat plastered ceiling with arcade penetrations.South aisle lean-to roof has moulded tie-beams.Vestry has C13 former north doorway with moulded arch,hood mould and head stops.Ancient plank door with arched grille,now boarded.C19 fittings.Early C19 framed Royal coat of arms on west wall.Chest 1624.An inscription records that it was given by Thomas and Isabel Garit.C19 stained glass.Monuments:chancel north:John Shuckburgh 1625.Brass set in painted,moulded and scrolled frame,in plain outer frame.(V.C.H. Warwickshire:Vol.6 pp 184-185; Buildings of England:Warwickshire:pp. 358,359).
Listing NGR: SP4630961281
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 184-185
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 358-359
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing