Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024455.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:00:12.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Priors Hardwick
National Grid Reference:
SP 47171 56193


PRIORS HARDWICK CHURCH END SP4756 (East side) 14/98 Church of St. Mary 30/05/67


Church. Late C13; nave c.1300; porch C14. Upper part of tower C15. Re-roofed, nave largely rebuilt and vestry added 1868. Ironstone: chancel and tower of squared rubble; nave, porch and vestry regular coursed. Tile roofs have C19 coped gable parapets. High, wide chancel and nave, west tower, south porch and north vestry. 3-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has moulded double splayed plinth. Diagonal buttresses with 3 offsets. Sill course. Unusual 3-light east window of lancets and 3 spherical triangles; bottom part blocked. South doorway of 2 hollow-chamfered orders and rich hood mould has splayed jambs and remains of stiff-leaf capitals; nook shafts missing. Plank door. Short eastern window, set high up, of 4 lights, with uncusped circles. Central and 3 north windows have Y-tracery. South-west window originally similar, but with top removed. Deep, moulded splayed sills. South porch has doorway with outer chamfered and inner moulded order, hood mould and return stops. Double doors with wooden grilles. Small blocked ogee windows, cut from single blocks. Inside south doorway of c.1300 has outer hollow and inner moulded order, and remains of hood mould. Plank door. Stone benches. Nave has east angle buttresses with 3 offsets and west diagonal buttresses with 2 offsets; south-east buttress dated 1868. South-east window has Y-tracery. Larger central 2-light, south-west 3-light and north windows have cusped Y- and intersecting tracery. Low square north vestry has north window of paired trefoiled 2-light straight-headed windows. Large moulded cornice and parapet; flat roof. Tower has west angle buttresses with 2 offsets. West lancet. North and west sides have clock faces of 1938; south side has narrow ogee lancet. Bell openings of paired narrow trefoiled round arched lights, with stone louvres. Moulded cornice and moulded crenellated parapet. Simple pinnacles. Interior: plastered walls. East window has thin nook shafts, stiff-leaf capitals arid imposts, and elaborately moulded arch. North and south chancel windows have rere arches with hood moulds, to north continuous, with head corbels. Moulded sill course. Aumbry, without door, in north wall. Very fine late C13 piscina and 2 sedilia, carved with naturalistic foliage, of 3 moulded orders with shafts. Piscina has C19 openwork cinqfoiled arch and cicular basin within octagonal shelf. Continuous hood mould with a head end stop. Panelled wagon roof with moulded ribs. Very elaborate C19 Early English style chancel arch of 3 orders with naturalistic carving. Nave has continuous sill course and hood mould, forming round arch above south door and arch above door to vestry. Plain tower arch. Arched braced roof, with cinqfoiled lancets and quatrefoils above collar. Large stone corbels carved with medieval style cowled figures. Fittings: plain C13 font. Turned communion rails with pendants of c.1700. Monument: remains of a C15 incised slab. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire: Vol. 5 pp 138-139; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p 377).

Listing NGR: SP4717156193


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 138-139
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 377


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10790/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].