This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LOWER SKILTS FARM, GATEHOUSE, ATTACHED FARM BUILDING AND WALL APPROXIMATELY 40 METRES WEST OF FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LOWER SKILTS FARM, GATEHOUSE, ATTACHED FARM BUILDING AND WALL APPROXIMATELY 40 METRES WEST OF FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1024480

Location

LOWER SKILTS FARM, GATEHOUSE, ATTACHED FARM BUILDING AND WALL APPROXIMATELY 40 METRES WEST OF FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Mappleborough Green

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Oct-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305530

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STUDLEY SP06NE 1/182 Lower Skilts Farm, gatehouse, 01/02/67 attached farm building and wall approx. 40m. W of farmhouse (Formerly listed as gatehouse and barn at Lower Skilts Farm).

GV II

Former gatehouse, converted to stable, and attached building and wall. c.1560-70 (VCH): mid/late C19 central range, and extensive alterations. Dark red English bond brick with blue brick diapering, and C19 red brick, CI9 tile roofs; gatehouse has brick external stack. Gatehouse, on right, of 2 storeys; one bay. Central blocked chamfered 4-centred stone archway with irregular jambs. C19 hayloft door above has wood lintel and brick segmental relieving arch. Right return side has large external stack; shaft missing. To rear: 3 bays. C19 central doorway and 2 windows under brick segmental arches. Incised stone sundial above door. To left hayloft door; window to right. Openings boarded up at time as resurvey. Roof level possibly altered, Central single-storey range has wide opening and 2 windows. C16 building on left. One storey and attic, but almost certainly reduced; one bay. Central plank door, and upper door to right. Left return side one-window range. Blocked 2-light chamfered stone mullioned windows. Wall attached on left. Tile coping. Part patched in C19 brick with gauged brick fiat arch gateway. The buildings form part of a group with another building and attached barn (q.v.) and a section of wall (q.v.). Together they comprise the remains of a house and outbuildings which replaced the Grange of Studley Priory. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III, p.177).

Listing NGR: SP0983167047

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 177

National Grid Reference: SP 09831 67047

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024480 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 12:05:44.

End of official listing