CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1024518

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Oct-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, SPERNALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024518 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 15:22:44.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, SPERNALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Spernall

National Grid Reference: SP 08640 62123

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SPERNALL SPERNAL LANE SP06SE (South side) 4/175 Church of St. Leonard 01/02/67

GV II*

Church, now workshop. Nave C12 and C14, chancel 1844, porch and bellcote c.1844. Nave of limestone; north wall ashlar, but with some C19 brick; south wall coursed rubble up to approx. 2m., with C19 lias ashlar above; west end regular coursed. Chancel and porch of lias ashlar. Nave roof of old tiles. Chancel of C20 tiles; C19 coped gables. Nave and chancel, south porch and west bellcote. Neo-Norman style chancel. One-bay chancel, 2-bay nave. Porch has round-arched part-glazed double leaf doors. Inside the square-headed south door of c.1600 has 5 vertical panels and strap hinges. Chancel has string course, carried as hood mould over north and south windows. Low central east buttress. Angles with nook-shafts. East wheel window with radiating colonettes. North and south sides have single round-headed windows. Nave has west angle and central buttresses. 2-light Decorated windows with cinqfoiled lights of red sandstone to north and south; the eastern pair are C14, the western C19. North door has C14 jambs and early C14 four-centred arch, and oak door of 1535 (Buildings of England) with applied ribs and ogee panelling, carving and studded strap hinges. Late C13 (Buildings of England) west window has Y-tracery with trefoil. Coped bellcote with ogee opening. Interior: Chancel has double-framed roof with wind braces. East window within arch. Chancel arch has C19 shafts and C12 roll-moulded arch. Nave has plastered walls. Queen strut and arched braced roof, possibly with some re-used old timbers. Fittings: Panelling of c.1835. C20 font. Stained glass: Fragments of C15 glass in north window. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.1ll, pp.173-174, Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.404).

Listing NGR: SP0864062123

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 305523

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 173-174
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 404

End of official listing