AQUEDUCT, STRATFORD ON AVON CANAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1024550
Date first listed:
23-Oct-1985
Statutory Address:
AQUEDUCT, STRATFORD ON AVON CANAL, SALTERS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of AQUEDUCT, STRATFORD ON AVON CANAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024550 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 05:45:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
AQUEDUCT, STRATFORD ON AVON CANAL, SALTERS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Aston Cantlow
County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Wootton Wawen
National Grid Reference:
SP1620460909

Details

SP16SE; 6/45

ASTON CANTLOW, SALTERS LANE, Aqueduct, Stratford-on-Avon Canal

(Formerly listed as: Aqueduct, Stratford-on-Avon Canal (that part in Aston Cantlow C.P.))

II*

Aqueduct. c1812-1816, with late C19 alterations and repairs. English bond grey brick piers, and regular coursed stone and brick abutments; some late C19 engineering brick. Wrought-iron girders and cast-iron trough and railings. Fourteen tapering piers, with narrow sides refaced in engineering brick. Abutments partly of engineering brick. Two openwork girders to each span. Trough has tow path at base rather than water level. Railing to tow path side only. Carries the Stratford on Avon canal, constructed between 1812-1816. Part of the aqueduct lies in Wooton Wawen parish.

Listing NGR: SP1620460909

The asset was previously listed twice also under the parish of Wootton Warren as List entry 1382215. This entry was removed from the List on 15/06/18.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
305391
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hodgkinson, H R , 'Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological Society' in Notes on the History of Midland Waterways, , Vol. 39, (1913), 88

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/14616/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].