TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1024606

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1956

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, HENLEY STREET, ALCESTER

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024606 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 01:52:36.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, HENLEY STREET, ALCESTER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Alcester

National Grid Reference: SP 09082 57521

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22/03/2017

SP0857 4/66

ALCESTER HENLEY STREET Town Hall

10/02/56

GV I Town Hall c.1618, upper storey completed and dated 1641 on a tie beam; arcades filled in 1873 (VCH). Ground floor built by Simon White of Chipping Camden. Ground floor of regular coursed lias, with yellow limestone columns and arches, moulded string course and dressings. Arcades filled in with regular coursed stone. Upper floor timber framed with C20 rendering. Old tile roof, patched with recent tile; two brick ridge chimneys. Two storeys; 6 x 2 bays.

Ground floor: Arcade of six round arches with keystones, and short baseless Tuscan columns with pronounced entasis. Identical entrances in first and last bays have C19 four-panelled doors and fanlights with glazing bars, in Gibbs surrounds and arch with keystone. Round arched windows with glazing bars in similar surrounds. First floor has horizontal sliding sashes above first, third and fifth arches. Right return side: ground floor has similar windows. C19 wood three-light mullioned and transomed windows on first floor. Left return side has single arch and window to right. On left blind three-light stone mullioned window, largely renewed. Rear similar to front, but of five arches only. In place of sixth arch a broad plank door under a C19 four-centred arch, with a three-light stone mullion window above and to the left.

Interior: Ground floor is a single room with moulded ceiling beams and cast iron pillars. Former lock-up in south-west bay. C17 and C20 staircases. First floor has five-bay hall open to roof. Octagonal moulded wall posts. Hammer beam roof, formerly queen post trusses with central section of moulded tie beams cut away. Curved braces and additional collar with queen struts. Longitudinal rib between collars. Late C17/early C18 double-leaf eight-panelled doors. C20 fireplace. A plaque on the exterior records that the Town Hall was bought from the Lord of the Manor, the Marquess of Hertford, by public subscription in 1919 as a War Memorial. Formerly a Scheduled Monument Warwickshire No.45.

(VCH Warwickshire, Vol. III, p.9, Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.60).

Listing NGR: SP0908257521

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 17 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 305224

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 9
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 60
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 17 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/119469
War Memorials Register, accessed 17 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/3153

End of official listing