This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF JAMES

List entry Number: 1024653

Location

CHURCH OF JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Arrow with Weethley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Dec-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305136

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SPO5SE WEETHLEY

5/123 Church of St . James

- II

Church. 1857-58 by Edward Haycock. Lias ashlar with limestone dressings, and tile roof. 3 bay nave, apsidal chancel, west bellcote, and vestry. Late C13 style; Geometrical tracery with hood moulds. Nave north side; double leaf folding door with keeled roll moulding, in open timber porch. 2-light eastern window, and single lancets flanking door. West front has diagonal and central buttresses and 2 cusped lancets. South side has no windows; vestry with catslide roof. Chancel: 3-sided apse has single lancets with trefoiled circles and 2-light north window. Massive clasping buttresses to angles. Interior: chancel has an aumbry to north, single sedilia to south. Simple chancel arch with hood mould on brackets carved with naturalistic lilies and grapes, painted. Plastered walls throughout, and simple arch-braced roofs. Fittings: big octagonal font on 4 half-hipped gablets; fine High Victorian wood lectern; contemporary stained glass in apse. An inexpensive small church, but a well considered design with high- quality detailing. The church occupies a prominent position overlooking the Cotswolds. (V.C.H. Warwickshire, Vol. III p.188; Buildings of England : Warwickshire, p.466).

Listing NGR: SP0551555319

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 188
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 466

National Grid Reference: SP 05515 55319

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024653 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jun-2018 at 04:41:07.

End of official listing