BORDER MINSTREL PUBLIC HOUSE TO NORTH WEST OF BRANDLING HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1024715
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1952
Statutory Address:
BORDER MINSTREL PUBLIC HOUSE TO NORTH WEST OF BRANDLING HOUSE, B 1318

Map

Ordnance survey map of BORDER MINSTREL PUBLIC HOUSE TO NORTH WEST OF BRANDLING HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024715.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 06:25:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
BORDER MINSTREL PUBLIC HOUSE TO NORTH WEST OF BRANDLING HOUSE, B 1318

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
North Gosforth
National Grid Reference:
NZ 24826 71290

Details

NZ 27 SW NORTH GOSFORTH B.1318 (east side) Gosforth Park 4/55 27 August 1952 Border Minstrel P.H. to north west of Brandling House. G.V. II* Ancillary pavilion to country house, now public house. Dated 1757 on rainwater head. By James Paine for Charles and Elizabeth Brandling (CBE on rainwater head). Sandstone ashlar with plinth. Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys, 5 bays and right coach house extension of 2 lower storeys and one bay. Rusticated quoins to central 3 bays; 4-panel double doors in outer bays with overlight at right; central 3 bays project slightly and have central round-headed window flanked by windows in plain reveals; 5 windows on first floor and 4 on second; all windows sashes with glazing bars of late C19 type and voussoirs. First floor band; dentilled eaves cornice. Hipped roof has central chimney with canted corners. One-bay, 2-storey right extension with panelled impost band to blocked segmental arch, has inserted ground floor sash and first floor sash in recessed panel; first floor sill string. Parapet to hipped roof with central banded chimney.

Listing NGR: NZ2482671290

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
304975
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01223/35
Rights: Copyright IoE D.S Ridley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].