CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1024724

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Aug-1990

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024724 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 18:40:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Arrow with Weethley

National Grid Reference: SP 08260 56490

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for ARROW Church of St James

The address shall be amended to read: Church of Holy Trinity 2/1 ------------------------------------

SPO5NE ARROW

2/1 Church of St. James 01/02/67 (Formerly listed as Church of the Holy Trinity)

- II

Parish Church. Late C13 nave, mid C14 chancel. Tower has datestone 'Built at the expence of the Rt Hon the Earl of Hertford 1767'. Restored and north aisle and chapel added 1865. Aisle built for Admiral Heynell. Nave and chancel of coursed limestone rubble, aisle and chapel of regular coursed lias. Ashlar dressings. Tower roughcast. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle and chapel. All walls have battered plinth and buttresses. Chancel has Decorated windows: 3-lights to the east, 2-light in the north and two 2-light in the south wall with priest's door between, now blocked inside. Diagonal buttresses. Nave has a re-set C12 south doorway with single shafts and block capitals, and round arch with chamfer and roll moulding. 3-light windows, the central Decorated, two with intersected tracery. Tower in 3 stages with angle buttresses to 1st stage, and string courses. Battlemented parapet with Gothick panelled pinnacles. 4-centre arched double leaf west door with hood mould. Single north and south lights. 2nd stage has quatrefoil windows with hood moulds. Datestone on south. Bell openings with cusped Y-tracery. North aisle has double leaf Gothic west door with 3-light window above. Aisle and chapel walls treated as one. Windows with varied tracery. Interior: all roofs of 1865. Chancel, 4 steps above nave, has C14 piscina now at floor level. Encaustic tile floor. Simple continuously chamfered chancel arch. Nave has a very small piscina in south wall. 3-bay arcade with round and octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. Simple tower arch. North aisle has 2 re-set tomb recesses in north wall, with 3-centred arches and a small recess between. Rich 2-bay arcade between north chapel and chancel. Fittings: Altar rails and tower panel late C18/early C19. Pulpit mid C17. Reredos 1870. Stained glass: Old armorial glass in tower south window; some C19 glass. The restoration of 1865 cost 2,000. The north aisle is on the site of an earlier aisle. (V.C.H. : Warwickshire III, p.30; Buildings of England : Warwickshire, p.73).

Listing NGR: SP0826056490

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 305013

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 30
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 73

End of official listing