CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1024757

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, SUMMERHILL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024757 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 12:04:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, SUMMERHILL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 23838 64141

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE SUMMERHILL STREET NZ 2364 SE (east side) 18/542 Church of St. Matthew 14.6.54 GV II* Parish church. 1877 by R.J. Johnson; tower 1895 by Hicks and Charlewood. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; roof of plain tiles, with stone gable copings. Tower, nave and choir, with clasping double aisles, the outer ones shorter; sanctuary. Decorated style tower; Perpedicular style elsewhere. Large 5-stage tower has blank first stage under high 5-light window with sill string and hoodmould; smaller windows above and paired 2-light belfry openings. Angle buttresses with offsets; battlemented parapet with crocketed side and corner pinnacles and tall 2-stage open-traceried inner corner pinnacles with wind vanes. West door in north aisle has 2-centred moulded arch on shafts; similar door in west end bay of south aisle. Octagonal turret west of south aisle, buttresses flanking door; battlemented parapet. Square-headed 3-light aisle windows, and 2- light clerestory windows, the latter 2 to a bay defined by pilasters with pinnacles. Roll-moulded aisle and nave parapets; cross finial. Interior, shows varied shades of red sandstone ashlar; blind traceried frieze to arch- braced roof with pendants and bosses. High moulded tower arch on 5 shafts; tower aisle arches similar but lower. Quatrefoil piers to 4-bay nave arcade with moulded arches and capitals (except 2 easternmost which have delicate carved flowers, as has tower arch). Outer arcades of 4 double-chamfered arches springing from octagonal. piers without capitals, as in St. nicholas' and St. Johns.East wall has blind tracery, [as has wide splay of 6-light window; sedilia on south sanctuary wall. Elaboratily-carvedreredosandchancel fittings of 1896 by Hicks and Charlewood in memory of R.J. Johnson: niches and canopied statues of Caen stone. Choir floor of marble inlay; stone choir rail with wrought-iron gates commemorates former vicar, Oliver Churchyard, died 1905. Glass in south aisle commemorates benefactors, L.W. Pearson and wife. Other glass by Kempe in east windows. C14-style font and cover from demolished St. Cuthbert's, Newcastle.

Listing NGR: NZ2383864141

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304890

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing