This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

JESMOND CHURCH OF ST HILDA

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: JESMOND CHURCH OF ST HILDA

List entry Number: 1024758

Location

JESMOND CHURCH OF ST HILDA, THORNLEIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Newcastle upon Tyne

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 304894

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 26 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE THORNLEIGH STREET (south side) 9/546 Jesmond. Church of 14.6. St. Hilda GV II Parish church, originally daughter church of St. George, Jesmond. 1900-5 by Hicks and Charlewood. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings; Graduated Lakeland slate roof. Aisled nave and chancel, north-west belfry; north vestry. Perpendicular style. Moulded 2-centred arch to double boarded door in west bay of north aisle; low octagonal belfry at right. Square-headed 5-light windows in nave aisles, 2-light in chancel. 5-light east window has 2-centred head and flowing tracery. Set-back buttresses; roll-moulded parapet and gable coping with cross finial; hipped roof to vestry. Tall central copper-covered fleche has swept eaves and slender iron cross finial. Interior: painted plaster with ashlar arcades; pointed barrel roof. 4-bay nave has alternate round and octagonal piers with double-chamfered arches on moulded capitals; 2 octagonal piers to Lady chapel. Blind west arch; shouldered arch to vestry door. Octagonal font has blind tracery and square flower bosses. War memorial triptych by F.H. Newbery A.R.C.A. showing figures of soldier, sailor, locomotive engineer and miner, with Saints Nicholas and Hilda, in cil, in north aisle.

Listing NGR: NZ2520166479

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/34539

National Grid Reference: NZ 25201 66479

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024758 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2017 at 08:28:41.

End of official listing