This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JAMES WITH HALL, SUNDAY SCHOOL AND HOUSE ATTACHED

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES WITH HALL, SUNDAY SCHOOL AND HOUSE ATTACHED

List entry Number: 1024820

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES WITH HALL, SUNDAY SCHOOL AND HOUSE ATTACHED, NORTHUMBERLAND ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Newcastle upon Tyne

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 304752

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 2564 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NORTHUMBERLAND ROAD (north side) 17/425 Church of St.James with 30.3.87 hall, Sunday School and house attached.

G.V. II*

Congregational, now United Reformed, Church. 1882-4 by T. Lewis Banks. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings; grey and green slate roofs. Cruciform church, with corner, and side aisles, aligned north-south; ritual west porches and vestibule; Sunday School,hall and house behind. Free C13 style. Gabled west front has 10 arched windows under tall 5-bay arcade, the outer bays blind; higher blind arcade in gable peak; angle buttresses with spirelets. Flanking gabled porches have double doors with elaborate hinges, triple nook shafts, shouldered surrounds and carved tympana. Lancet windows, paired in corner and triple in side aisles. Complex high roofs, with slate-hung central lantern and tall octagonal spire. Interior: walls rendered, with ashlar dressings, above boarded dado. 4 square piers with shafts to arches of side aisles and lower arches of corner aisles. Glass roof on pendentives to lantern; arch-braced collar trusses to side aisles. West gallery. High Gothic-style pulpit with wrought-iron grilles. Choir pews are memorial to dead of both world wars. Much C19 painted glass, including, 2 windows by Atkinson Bros. of Newcastle in memory of Elizabeth and Florence Dunford of 1888 and 1919; and one by G. J. Baguley and Son in memory of William Crossley d.1918. Source: J.C.G. Binfield 'The Building of a Town Centre Church : St James ' Congregational Church, Newcastle upon Tyne' Northern History v.XVIII, Leeds 1983, pp.l53-181.

Listing NGR: NZ2512464839

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Northern History' in Northern History, , Vol. 18, (1983), 153-181

National Grid Reference: NZ 25124 64839

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024820 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 09:40:50.

End of official listing