This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1024846

Location

CHURCH OF ST PAUL, HAVELOCK STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Newcastle upon Tyne

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 304623

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 23506406 NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE HAVELOCK STREET NZ 2364 SE (north side) 11/305 and 18/305 Church of St. Paul 14/6/54

G.V. II

Parish church. 1856-9 designed by John Dobson. Chancel re-fitted c. 1950. Sandstone ashlar with roll-moulded plinth; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Aisled nave and chancel; south porch. Porch has 2-centred arch with nook shafts and head-stopped drip mould to double door with elaborate hinges, in high-gabled porch with lancet in gable peak. Paired lancets in aisles, 2-centred-arched clerestory windows. 2 tall west lancets flanking a buttress, with wheel window in gable peak. Triple east lancets under quatrefoil. South-west pinnacle with gabled slits has stone spirelet. Aisles have mask corbel tables and buttresses. INTERIOR: painted plaster with ashlar dressings above boarded dado; arch-braced roof. Round piers to 2-centred double-chamfered arches of 6-bay arcades. Stained glass includes west window of north aisle by Wailes and Strang, 1903; other glass removed from nearby church. Monuments include on the west wall a marble memorial to Marcus Allen, a former vicar, died 1843, with portrait relief; and low-relief portrait on pillar, in marble, with weeping woman, by R. G. Davies in classical style, commemorating Amos Spoor died 1842 and other members of his family.

Listing NGR: NZ2350564064

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 23505 64064

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024846 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2017 at 01:29:48.

End of official listing