CHIMNEY MILL AND MILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1024905

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: CHIMNEY MILL AND MILL HOUSE, CLAREMONT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHIMNEY MILL AND MILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024905 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 05:19:53.

Location

Statutory Address: CHIMNEY MILL AND MILL HOUSE, CLAREMONT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 24073 65546

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 26 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CLAREMONT ROAD (south side)

8/163 Chimney Mill and Mill house

G.V. II

Mill and house, later golf club, now offices. 1782 by Smeaton. Built as 5-sailed mill. House of brick with painted ashlar dressings: 2 storeys, 3 bays; golf club front, added 1892, has bracketed canopy and raised surround, with NGC (Newcastle Golf Club) on one bracket and 1892 on the other, flanked by windows in raised stone surrounds; similar surround to single and tripartite first floor windows; battlemented parapet. Mill above of weatherboarding with wooden gallery: octagonal, with bargeboarded gables to windows in alternate bays; parapet. Historical note: in use as a mill until 1892; as a golf club until 1975. Windshaft and cap removed 1951.

Listing NGR: NZ2407365546

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304470

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing