CHURCH OF ST SILAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1024914

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST SILAS, CLIFFORD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST SILAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024914 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 09:56:52.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST SILAS, CLIFFORD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 26617 64653

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 26 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CLIFFORD STREET (south side) Byker

12/186 Church of St. Silas 14/6/54

G.V. II

Parish church. 1886 by R.J. Johnson; alterations 1899. Snecked sandstone with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings; roof of plain tiles with stone gable copings. Nave and chancel with north aisle; north-west baptistry. Steps up to 2-centred arched double door in moulded surround in north aisle westernmost bay; similar door and 2-light window to vestry in east end of aisle. Similar west doors, inserted in 1899, flank large round-headed window with tracery; blind arcade below continuous sill and drip string. 2-and 4-light square-headed windows of aisle and baptistry have stone mullions and elliptical-headed lights. East window inserted in 1899 similar to west window. Battlemented octagonal belfry turret at north-west has canted baptistry adjoining. Interior: painted plaster above boarded dado; arch-braced collar truss roof. 5-bay arcade of tall octagonal piers and elliptical double-chamfered arches with hood moulds. Gothic-style reredos of Caen stone was 1899 gift from vicar; painted panelled coved canopy above. Octagonal stone font on arcaded base surrounded by wood rail and kneeler. Glass in east and baptistry windows by Atkinson Bros. of Newcastle. Stone low-relief panel in south wall commemorating Elizabeth Harbottle, founder of the Harbottle Charity, has angels flanking inscription of early C2O. Source: Parish Magazine of St. Silas, Byker, 1898-1900.

Listing NGR: NZ2661764653

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304493

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Parish Magazine of St Silas, Byker, Newcastle' in Parish Magazine of St Silas, Byker, Newcastle, (1898-1900)

End of official listing