COUNTY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1024938

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: COUNTY HALL, CASTLE GARTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of COUNTY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024938 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 20:32:22.

Location

Statutory Address: COUNTY HALL, CASTLE GARTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 25090 63897

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 2563 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CASTLE GARTH (east side)

24/145 County Hall

G.V. II

County offices. Lower and front part 1910 by J. A. Bain. Rear, right extension down to the Side, and top storeys 1933 by Cackett, Dick and McKellar. Sandstone ashlar; roof not visible. 6 storeys, 14 bays to Castle Garth; l0 storeys, 9 bays on right return to the Side. Classical style. Central double door in Greek Doric porch with triglyph frieze and prominent dentils in high entablature. 6 bays either side have central 4-bay projections. Rusticated ground floor with cornice has sashes in plain reveals. Giant Ionic Order above, pilasters at corners and half-columns defining bays of projections, with architraves to windows. Alternate pediments to the first floor in projections, the central windows on each floor paired. Moulded sills on second floor. Second floor cornice. Plain third floor has cornice with parapet to outer bays; 2 top storeys to central 5 bays, with raised balustrade on top. Later additions set back at each side on upper floors. Cartouche above porch has Northumberland County Arms. Until 1974 this was a detached part of the County of Northumberland.

Listing NGR: NZ2509063897

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304450

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing