This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL WITH ST LAWRENCE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL WITH ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1024948

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL WITH ST LAWRENCE, AVONDALE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Newcastle upon Tyne

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 304375

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE AVONDALE ROAD (north side) NZ 26 SE Byker. 12/76 Church of St. Michael with St. Lawrence (formerly listed 14.6.54 in Headlam Street) II G.V. Parish church. 1862-3 by W.L. Moffat. 1936 addition of north aisle and vestry. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings and plinth; Welsh slate roofs with stone gable copings. Aisled nave with tower over south porch; chancel with north organ chamber and north vestry. Decorated style. Porch in second bay has moulded pointed arch with recessed boarded door; stone porch seats; 2 upper stages of tower have cusped lancets and 3-light bell openings; stone broach spire with lucarnes. 2-light aisle and chancel windows, 3-light east window and 4-light west window have block-stopped dripmoulds. Buttresses, diagonal at corners. 3 steeply-pitched roofs. Interior: Plaster with boarded dado in south aisle and ashlar dressings; arch-braced collar-beam roof to nave, scissor-braced to aisles and arch-braced to chancel, all resting on shafted corbels. 5-bay arcades with circular piers on south and octagonal on north; high chancel arch; aisle and 3-bay chancel arcade to organ chamber. Flat Tudor arch to vestry door. Octagonal Gothic font with shields 1843 by R. Scott; Gothic font cover. Glass in north aisle commemorates H.T. Ormerod, curate, 1893-189?

Listing NGR: NZ2729064479

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 27290 64479

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024948 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 08:58:56.

End of official listing