CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1024959
Date first listed:
17-Dec-1971
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, BENWELL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024959 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jun-2019 at 00:55:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, BENWELL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 21791 64080

Details

NZ 26 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BENWELL LANE (south side) Benwell

11/100 Church of St. James. 17.12.71

G.V. II

Chapel of ease 1832; parish church 1843. By John Dobson; 1864 nave and aisle added, 1879-80 organ chamber and vestry. 1895 additions of spire, choir vestry, porch by Hicks and Charlewood. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth and dressings; dark slate roof with flat stone gable copings. West tower, north- west porch; aisled nave and chancel. Mostly Norman style. 3-stage tower has round-headed windows in first stage, blank second and arched belfry openings containing 2 round arches and a shared shaft; corbel table to coped parapet with octagonal corner pinnacles; octagonal stone spire with slender gabled lucarnes; double boarded north door, with elaborate hinges, in moulded arch; west door in south aisle in plain round arch of 2 Orders. 5-bay aisles have round-headed windows, paired in north-east bay and in south aisle which has 3 low gabled tomb recesses; 2-bay chancel aisles and tripIe east window. Steeply- pitched roofs to aisles and nave and lower chancel. Interior: painted plaster above wainscoting; queen-post roof with painted stencilled decoration to tie beams on elaborately-shaped brackets. North arcade has simple moulded capitals and slightly chamfered arches; lower south arcade of octagonal piers now blocked to make south aisle into parish hall. Baptistry in tower has Gothic font with granite shaft and quatrefoil bowl. 2-centred chancel arch with inner arch on corbelled, paired shafts; slightly chamfered round arch to Lady chapel. Painted arcaded stone reredos with statues; high-quality brass communion rail commemorates former vicar, F. Jobling.

Listing NGR: NZ2179164080

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
304403
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].