CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1024973

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1949

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WEST AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024973 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 01:22:47.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WEST AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 24109 67758

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 26 NW GOSFORTH WEST AVENUE

8/23 Church of All Saints 10 November 1949

II

Parish church. 1885-1887 by R.J. Johnson; tower 1896. Sandstone ashlar with moulded plinth; roofs of plain tiles over nave and chancel, Welsh slate else- where. West tower with porches; aisled nave and chancel. Perpendicular style. 3-stage tower has high 4-light window with reticulated tracery; small 2-light square-headed window above; high 3-light transomed belfry openings with sill string; angle buttresses. l0 clerestory windows to nave, 5 to chancel, all of 2 lights and square-headed; similar windows varying from 2 to 4 lights in aisles; very big 7-light 2-centred-arched east window. Angle buttresses to east front; double door in north-west porch. Tudor flower corbel tables and battlemented parapets; gargoyles to tower corbel table above quatrefoiled band. Interior shows painted plaster walls with ashlar dressings; panelled dado; arch-braced collar-beam roof with painted carved bosses. Octagonal piers with high plinths to 5-bay nave and 2-bay chancel arcades. High chancel arch and tower arch; high-quality panelling by Hedley in chancel and tower baptistry; rood screen also by Hedley. Glass includes east window by Heaton, Butler and Baynes of London. Elaborately-carved Gothic font and cover.

Listing NGR: NZ2410967758

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304343

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing