This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CLIFTON COLLEGE, NORTH EAST WING

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLIFTON COLLEGE, NORTH EAST WING

List entry Number: 1024993

Location

CLIFTON COLLEGE, NORTH EAST WING, COLLEGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 379322

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5773NW COLLEGE ROAD, Clifton 901-1/2/826 (North East side) 01/11/66 Clifton College, North East Wing (Formerly Listed as: COLLEGE ROAD, Clifton Clifton College Big School, School House and Wilson Tower)

GV II

Science lecture theatre, now classrooms. c1898. By Hansom and Bond. Snecked Brandon Hill Grit with limestone dressings, cross axial ridge stacks and slate roof with bands of hexagonal slates. Single-depth plan forming NE side of quadrangle. Collegiate Tudor Gothic Revival-style with Decorated Gothic Revival-style tracery. 2 storeys, attic and basement; 10-window range to quad. Links Wilson Tower (qv) with Guthrie Memorial Chapel (qv). Paired ground-floor cross windows separated by single-storey buttresses. First floor has 2 flat-headed 3-light mullion and transom windows to the left, and three 2-centred arched windows stepped up to the right, with a sill band following the rising floor of the former lecture theatre. Crenellated parapet to the left, with 2 large 3-light lead-clad dormers behind, and gables over the right-hand windows. Steep roof has diagonally-set stacks with linked cornices. The NW gabled end has basement windows in a 3-window range, with a large stepped window in the attic. INTERIOR: ground-floor passage to the quad side, with classrooms behind; stone dogleg stairs, former lecture theatre now divided by inserted floor, has arch-braced roof. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 320; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 419).

Listing NGR: ST5702473889

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 320
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 419

National Grid Reference: ST 57024 73889

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1024993 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 04:19:28.

End of official listing