CONSERVATIVE CLUB

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1025073

Date first listed: 08-Nov-1949

Statutory Address: CONSERVATIVE CLUB, 23, BRIDGELAND STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CONSERVATIVE CLUB
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025073 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 00:55:05.

Location

Statutory Address: CONSERVATIVE CLUB, 23, BRIDGELAND STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Bideford

National Grid Reference: SS 45377 26790

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIDEFORD

SS4526 BRIDGELAND STREET 842-1/5/40 (South side) 08/11/49 No.23 Conservative Club

GV II

House, now club. Possibly late C18, remodelled early/mid C19. Solid rendered front. Slate roof. Rendered chimney on each gable-end. 4-square plan with central entrance-passage; rear centre stair compartment with curved, projecting rear wall; long rear wing to left, age uncertain; rear curtilage to right now built over with ballroom. 2 storeys; 3-window range. Ground storey has round-arched centre doorway with reeded architrave having a keyblock; inner jambs of architrave have attached pilasters incised with key-pattern. Inner porch with groined vault having a foliated boss at its apex; beyond this an inner doorway with 6-panelled door and pilasters like those at the front. Flanking the doorway 2 large segmental bow windows of 3 lights each; between the lights and at either side pilasters incised with key-pattern, these supporting an entablature with paired brackets to the cornice. Raised band between storeys. All windows have 6-paned sashes. Deeply-projecting eaves-cornice with paired brackets. INTERIOR: ground floor only inspected. At rear of entrance-passage a doorway with semi-circular fanlight having patterned glazing. Wooden geometrical staircase; slender turned balusters with square necking-pieces; shaped step-ends; handrail voluted at foot of stair. In the stair-compartment wall between ground and first floors 2 round-headed semi-circular niches; tall, round-arched, small-paned window. Front left-hand room has enriched cornice and chandelier-boss. Other ground-floor rooms completely altered in late C20. The first Bridge Feoffees' lease of this site was of 2 stables in 1701. The later documentation is confusing, but the earliest firm reference to a house is in an 1839 lease to Susannah Glynn, spinster. (Notes by Bideford Historic Buildings Survey).

Listing NGR: SS4537726790

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 375752

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing