This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1025105

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County of Herefordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Hereford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 372362

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEREFORD

SO5040SE HIGH STREET 683-1/6/181 (North side) 10/06/52 Church of All Saints

GV II*

Parish church. C13 and C14. Coursed rubble; ashlar sandstone; slate and tile roof; ashlar tower and spire. Nave; chancel; south aisles; tower with spire; north and south chapels. EXTERIOR: North front: 5 Perpendicular windows with stained and coloured glass; stepped buttresses; moulded parapet; gargoyles. East front: 4-light stained glass window with cinquefoil head, under pointed arch. West front: C20 restored window; 4-light window to South aisle. South front: porch with wrought-iron gates and plank doors, under enriched pointed arch with moulded and decorated spandrels, and castellated parapet; doorway to North under moulded pointed arch with enriched spandrels, moulded jambs, and hood-moulding; various 2-and 3-light mullions; enriched buttress finials. Castellated tower with corner buttresses and louvred lancets; ribbed spire with finials to louvred lancets, and weathercock. INTERIOR: pulpit, c1621. C14 stalls with misericordes, and chest. C16 font (from which David Garrick was baptised in 1717); C17 reredos; C15 tiles and wall painting; Chained Library of some 300 books, the second largest in England (The largest being held at Hereford Cathedral (qv)). (Duncumb J: History of the County of Hereford: 1804-: 592-597).

Listing NGR: SO5089240043

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Duncumb, J, History of the County of Hereford, (1804), 592-7

National Grid Reference: SO 50892 40043

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025105 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 12:07:18.

End of official listing