This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST WINIFRED

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST WINIFRED

List entry Number: 1025119

Location

CHURCH OF ST WINIFRED, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Holbeck

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Apr-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 241437

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 57 SW HOLBECK CHURCH LANE (South side)

7/83 Church of St. Winifred

G.V. II

Parish church, 1913-16. Designed by Mr. McIntyre, approved with a few modifications, by Louis Ambler for the Duke of Portland. Based on Steetley, Derbyshire. Rock-faced ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Single rock-faced ashlar stack to the north east. Stone coped gables and kneelers. 2 moulded ashlar eaves bands. Bellcote, surmounted by a cross, at the west gable, with a further ridge cross at the east end. Buttressed. Nave, north aisle, north porch, north vestry/organ chamber, chancel and east apse. Set into a recessed panel at the west end is a central arched light, flanked by single, similar, smaller lights, each being flanked by a single engaged column with cushion capital supporting an arch of chevron and an arch of billet. All 3 are contained in a flush ashlar quoin surround. Under is a string course. Above is a Lombard frieze, with an oeil de boeuf in raised ashlar surround over. To the left is a lean-to, with single small arched light in flush ashlar quoin surround. This extends into the gabled porch with stone coping and kneelers. A band of dentil runs under the gable which has carved lozenge decoration. Central arched doorway with 2 engaged columns either side, each with cushion capital supporting an inner arch of key pattern and an outer arch of chevron with nodules. Each of the side walls has a single small arched light in flush ashlar quoin surround. The inner porch doorway is arched. The north nave wall, with sill band which extends around the north and east vestry walls, has 5 small arched lights in flush ashlar quoin surrounds. The projecting vestry has 2 gables to the north front. There are 2 pairs of arched lights with flush ashlar quoin surrounds. The east wall has an arched doorway with 3 small arched lights in flush ashlar quoin surrounds to the left. The east chancel has 3 small arched openings with flush ashlar surround in the gable apex. The semi-circular apse with dentil and moulded, raised ashlar eaves bands and sill and impost bands has 3 small arched lights each flanked by single engaged columns with cushion capitals supporting a single arch of billet moulding. The south chancel has 2 arched lights with flush ashlar quoin surrounds and sill band. The south nave has 4 larger arched lights with similar surrounds and sill band. Interior. 4 bay nave arcade with round columns and scalloped capitals support round arches with billet moulding over. The moulded north aisle/organ chamber and chancel/organ chamber arches are each supported on 2 responds with capitals decorated with mythical animals. The moulded chancel arch decorated with key pattern, chevron and billet is supported either side on 3 engaged columns with similar fanciful capitals. The apse arch is decorated with key pattern and is supported either side on 2 columns with similar fanciful decorated capitals. The beamed roofs of the apse and north aisle have narrow decorated and coloured panels. The ashlar colonnaded and decorated altar rails are decorated with wooden carved angel heads. The stone altar has an arcaded front. The 1931 oak pulpit is decoratively carved and the stone font has a bronze cover designed by William Reid Dick, 1921. On the west wall is a wooden collection box with carved Madonna over, to William Lord Lovat 18 Feb 1933. The 1919 memorial lectern is decorated with a bronze eagle by Walter Gilbert. In the nave is a decorative wood and iron chest dated 1930. In the apse are 2 carved chairs. There are several silver lanterns, crosses and candlesticks, some by Bainbridge Williams, 1927. The lantern in the chancel is C17 Dutch. On the north aisle wall is a memorial tablet to Ottoline Morrell by E. Gill, 1939. There is a tablet to Major Lord William Augustus Cavendish Bentinck on the south chancel wall. On the north chancel wall is a Garter Banner belonging to the Dukes of Portland. The stained glass in the apse and chancel is by Mr. Meteyard of Birmingham.

Listing NGR: SK5466273250

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 54662 73250

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025119 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 01:22:42.

End of official listing