This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1025128

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, WATERMOOR ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cirencester

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jul-1971

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 365468

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CIRENCESTER

SP0201 WATERMOOR ROAD 578-1/6/330 (South West side) 23/07/71 Church of the Holy Trinity

II*

Church. 1847-1851, windows enlarged by Scott 1878. By Sir George Gilbert Scott. Rock-faced limestone with ashlar dressings; stone slate roofs with coped verges. 2-bay aisled chancel with south vestry, 4-bay aisled nave, north-west tower with spire. Chancel: east gable wall with angle buttresses with offsets has 3 lancet windows linked by continuous hoodmould with carved stops; north wall has 2-light lancet window; south wall has 2-light pointed window with geometrical tracery and hoodmould. North chancel aisle: east gable wall has circular window in moulded stone surround with tracery of 3 quatrefoils, angle buttresses with offsets, gabled north-east porch in angle of chancel and aisle has single-light window with hoodmould to east wall, small plank door in shouldered chamfered stone surround to north; north wall of north chancel aisle has 2-light pointed window with geometrical tracery and hoodmould, attached to west is porch with hipped roof and plank door in shouldered chamfered stone surround. South chancel aisle: east gable wall has pointed window with 3 graduated lights and hoodmould, angle buttresses with offsets, vestry attached to south has lancet window with hoodmould to east and 2 pairs of lancets with hoodmoulds to south, cusped circular window and plank door with hoodmould to west wall, ashlar squinch passage in angle with south nave aisle. North nave aisle: to north wall two 2-light pointed windows with geometrical tracery and hoodmoulds, gabled porch with buttresses with offsets has pointed doorway with paired shafts and moulded with late C20 iron gates. South nave aisle: to south wall three 2-light pointed windows with plate tracery and hoodmoulds, south doorway in gabled projection has pointed moulded hood on triple shafts with leaf capitals, boarded door with decorative ironwork; west wall has 3-light pointed window with geometrical tracery and hoodmould, angle buttresses with offsets. Nave: west wall has 4-light pointed window with geometrical tracery and hoodmould. North-west tower: has angle and intermediate buttresses with offsets, stair turret to north-east angle, 2 lancet windows to north wall and 4 lancet windows to west wall, pairs of 2-light pointed windows with plate tracery and stone louvres to each face to bell-chamber; ball-flower frieze with gargoyles and parapet with moulded coping; broach spire with 2-light openings in gabled dormers to each face. INTERIOR: chancel has single pointed moulded arches to north and south aisles, small pointed doorway to north, doorway with 4-centred arch head to south. Chancel arch pointed with moulded head on carved corbels. Sanctuary has carved, painted and gilded reredos by Scott, 1881, piscina and 3 sedilia to south; brass and oak communion rails, oak choir stalls. Organ in north chancel aisle; communion table with carved and gilded timber reredos to south chancel aisle. Nave has arcade of pointed arches on round and octagonal piers with carved capitals; octagonal stone pulpit to north-west of chancel arch with quatrefoil decoration and openwork panels to sides; font to west end of north nave aisle quatrefoil plan on 4 grouped marble piers with elaborate cusped and pinnacled brass cover; softwood pews. 8-bay nave roof with king-post trusses lit by 2 dormers to each side. (The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds: London: 1970-: P.171; Verey D: Cotswold Churches: London: 1976-: PP 76 & 77).

Listing NGR: SP0261101372

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970), 171
Verey, D, Cotswold Churches, (1976), 76 AND 77

National Grid Reference: SP0261101372

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025128 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 01:19:40.

End of official listing