This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WHICKHAM COTTAGE HOSPITAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WHICKHAM COTTAGE HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1025142

Location

WHICKHAM COTTAGE HOSPITAL, FRONT STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Gateshead

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Nov-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 303899

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 2061 SE WHICKHAM FRONT STREET (south side) Whickham 16/133

- Whickham Cottage Hospital

GV II

Rectory, now hospital. Dated 1713, on plaque above door, with arms and monogram of Nathaniel Crewe. Painted coursed squared sandstone with plinth and raised quoins; roof pantiled with stone slates at eaves and stone gable copings; corniced brick chimneys. 2 storeys, 5 windows. Central half-glazed door in architrave under high segmental open pediment containing Crewe arms, motto VIS UNITA FORTIOR and date 1713; monogram NC and bishop's mitre above. Sash windows with glazing bars in raised stone surrounds. First floor band, moulded eaves cornice. Double- span U-shaped roof has 2 end and one ridge chimneys and one on linking ridge at right. Interior shows early C19 stair; stucco frieze of oak-leaves in one room. Historical note: foundation stone laid by Robert Thomlinson, Rector of Whickham, in 1713 Source: W Bourn. Annals of the Parish of Whickham (Consett 1892) 47.

Listing NGR: NZ2076361243

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bourn, W, Annals of the Parish of Whickham, (1892), 47

National Grid Reference: NZ 20763 61243

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025142 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 02:06:49.

End of official listing