CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1025154
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, LAMESLEY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025154 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2019 at 04:50:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, LAMESLEY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Gateshead (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Lamesley
National Grid Reference:
NZ 25283 57908

Details

NZ 25 NE 12/71

LAMESLEY Church of St. Andrew

1.2.67

GV II Parish church. 1758 rebuilding on site of medieval church; 1821 addition of aisles and west tower. Coursed squared standstone with ashlar dressings; galletting to chancel south wall. Welsh slate roof with stone gable coping. West tower; nave; chancel with north porch and vestry. Gothick style. Tower has north door; 3-light west window with head-stopped drip mould under clock and 2 - light belfry openings. Battlements to tower and to taller octagonal stair turret with slit windows. Cyma-moulded high sloping plinth to aisles; cusped arches to window transoms; gabled and diagonal buttresses define 4 bays with battlemented parpapets Blind chancel has 4-light east window. Cross finials; weather vane. Interior: high octagonal plinth to tall quatrefoil piers supporting narrow chamfered arcades on inner shafts; Aisle galleries, easternmost bays removed. 1884 transfer of organ from tower to porch; chancel fittings 1893 by W. S. Hicks; 1910 chancel screen and oak panelling. Monument in white marble (Rachel weeping for her children) to Honourable Frances Jane Liddell, died 1823. Clock commemorates third earl of Ravensworth, died 1904.

Historical note: Liddells acquired Ravensworth in 1607; 1642 Thomas Liddell created baronet; 1821 baronetcy re-created.

Listing NGR: NZ2528357908

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
303837
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].