CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1025175

Date first listed: 18-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, SCOTLAND HEAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025175 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 00:00:30.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, SCOTLAND HEAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Gateshead (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 17568 61931

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 16 SE BLAYDON SCOTLAND HEAD (east side) 4/19 (inset) Winlaton

Church of St. Paul

G.V. II

Parish church.1827-9 by Ignatius Bonomi. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; low-pitched roof of Lakeland slate. Nave, chancel, west tower. Perpendicular style. 3-stage battlemented tower with corner pinnacles and tall angle buttresses. 2-light belfry openings above 3-light pointed-arched window; slit window below. Tudor-arched south door with hoodmould. 4-bay nave has mullioned and transomed 3-light windows, the eastern- most with tracery, under hoodmoulds; stepped buttresses define bays. Short chancel with priest's door, 5-light traceried east window, and diagonal buttresses. Corbelled and coped continuous parapet. Wrought iron gates to doors. Interior: plastered above wainscoting. Slender nave arcades with: 4-centred arches. Panelled ceiling on cast iron brackets. Memorial panel to Charles John Clavering died 1838, High Sheriff. Memorial screen and choir stalls to Sir Henry A. Clavering died 1898.

Listing NGR: NZ1756861931

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 303786

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing