SUMMERHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1025180

Date first listed: 18-Sep-1975

Statutory Address: SUMMERHOUSE, SUMMERHILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of SUMMERHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025180 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 17:38:35.

Location

Statutory Address: SUMMERHOUSE, SUMMERHILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Gateshead (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 17695 63513

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 16 SE BLAYDON SUMMERHILL

4/29 Summerhouse.

18.9.75 G.V. II

Summerhouse. By 1750. For Sir Thomas Clavering. Flemish bond brick octagonal tower with sandstone dressing on square rubble base with ashlar coping. Square base broached to an octagonal top with cyma moulding. Door in north side under flat stone lintel. Blocked window openings, on north, south, east and west of the tower, have sills and bracketed cornices under round stone arches. Alternate bays contain round-headed brick panels with sills and moulded impost blocks. Stilted roundheaded arches above openings. Cyma- moulded cornice. Dome seen in old engraving now missing. Interior shows fireplace on south-west panel. Historical note: the house to which this belonged was Stella Hall, now demolished. A 1755 inventory gives description of furniture in the "Mount" which appears to be this building. Empty and disused at time of survey.

Listing NGR: NZ1769563513

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 303796

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing