This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1025183

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, SHIELDS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Gateshead

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1948

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 303809

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 26 SE FELLING SHIELDS ROAD (east side) 6/43 Heworth

26.4.48 Church of St. Mary.

G.V. II

Parish Church.1822 by John Stokoek consultation with the rector, John Hodgson. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Graduated Westmorland slate roof with stone gable coping to chancel and to nave parapets. West tower; nave; north and south transepts chancel and narrower sanctuary. Early English style. Tower of 3 stages has north door; traceried 2-light west window; clock under 2-light round-headed belfry openings; pinnacled battlements. 3-bay nave, 2-bay-deep transepts and 2-bay chancel and sanctuary have 2-light windows, some blind; north and south doors in transepts flanked by mullioned-and-transomed 2-light windows with cusped arches to transoms. Blind roundels in gable peaks. Inscription in south transept gable commemorating foundation of first church on site and rebuilding of 1822. Interior:plaster with ashlar dressings. Double-chamfered moulded chancel arch on half-octagonal pilasters; square-panelled plastered ceiling, flat in chancel. Chancel has 4 sedilia on north, older double piscina and 2 sedilia on south. Gothic-arcaded reredos with 1922 painted panels. Octagonal font in south transept; late C19 Gothic-style font at west end. Memorials to members of Brandling family, Russell family and to Richard Dawes, classical style, by Jopling of Gateshead. Glass in north transept by Ballantine. Sources: J. Raine; A. Memoir of the Rev. John Hodgson, 1857 (2 vols); Taylor, The Parish Church of St. Mary Heworth; Gateshead 1922.

Listing NGR: NZ2867061908

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Raine, J, A Memoir of the Reverend John Hodgson, (1857)
Taylor, , The Parish Church of St Mary Heworth Gateshead, (1922)

National Grid Reference: NZ 28670 61908

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025183 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 12:11:11.

End of official listing