This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1025190



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Gateshead

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Lamesley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 303829

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


NZ 25 NW LAMESLEY CROSS LANE 11/63 (south side, off)

1.2.67 Ravensworth Castle

G.V. II*

2 eastern towers and fragments of curtain wall; dates given as C12 (Pevsner and Williamson); late C13 (Boyle); 1290 (Longstaff). C14 plan of 4 towers and curtain wall forming square enclosure with no keep; (compare Ford 1338, Chillingham 1344, Raby 1378) Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. 3 storeys. Southern tower has elliptical-headed entrance in the north face, 4 lancet windows in west ground floor of late C13 type. North tower has mullioned and transomed window in first floor north face. Historical note: Ravensworth Castle was the property of the Fitz-Marmadukes; then in C14 and C15 of the Lumleys; then of the Gascoignes, from whom Thomas Liddell, a Newcastle merchant, bought it in 1607. It remained in the Liddell family until 1976. Sir Thomas Liddell, later Lord Ravensworth, demolished all but these towers of the house then standing. A scheduled ancient monument.

Listing NGR: NZ2327259118

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 23272 59118


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025190 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:10:25.

End of official listing