This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST ALOYSIUS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ALOYSIUS

List entry Number: 1025193

Location

CHURCH OF ST ALOYSIUS, BELL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: South Tyneside

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Feb-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 303732

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 36SW 2/72

HEBBURN BELL STREET (north side) Church of St Aloysius

GV II RC parish church. 1888 by C Walker of Newcastle. Polychrome brick with terracotta and sandstone dressings; roof of Welsh slate. 4-bay nave, with north and south aisles and south porch; 2-bay chancel. Double transepts, apsidal chapel to north transept. North and south elevations : 3 over 3 lancet windows to each transept gable, with 3 slit openings in the peaks : 3 lancets to each aisle bay, 2 to each bay in the clerestory; angle buttresses with 1 set-back and gablets at east and west ends, buttresses with 3 set-backs to transepts and aisles. West elevation : round window, sandstone, with plate tracery in round-headed brick recess having gauged brick arch; small lancets in peak flank corbelled pilaster bearing cross finial. Hood moulds, beast and flower stops, strings, gable and buttress copings of terracotta. Interior : boarded roof with scissor- braced trusses, alternate ones having strutted arch braces and resting on corbels of stone and brick, continuous over nave and chancel; Lady Chapel apsidal with arch-braced wood roof; north transept contains gallery with organ case, but only corbels show position of south gallery either removed or not built; central arcaded beam supports transept roofs; corbels of angels and mythical beasts; glass, mostly original, by Reed Millican of Newcastle. Furnishings: altar and reredos by John Gallagher of Newcastle, are Gothic, as are the side screens and communion rail and pulpit of similar design. Source : Jarrow Express 8th June, 1888, p.7: report of opening.

Listing NGR: NZ3069464792

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Jarrow Express' in 8 June, (1888), 7

National Grid Reference: NZ 30694 64792

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025193 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 06:52:02.

End of official listing