This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1025194



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: South Tyneside

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-May-1948

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Feb-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 303734

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/74 Hebburn Hall (formerly listed as Ellison Hall Infirmary and St John's 28.5.48 Vicarage)


Ellison Hall masonic club. Mostly 1790-2, incorporating earlier house in the western part, with some 1819 alterations. Possibly by William Newton; alterations by John Dobson; for the Ellison family. Sandstone ashlar with Welsh slate roof. U-shaped plan. 3 storeys, 9 windows to garden front, 5 to each return. South elevation to garden : pedimented central 3-bay projection containing 6-panelled door at left under large fanlight; a similar door in centre of right 3 bays; glazing bars of fanlights similar to those of windows; doors and window all have architraves, those of ground and first floors having cornices with bracketed pediments above ground 5th and first floor 2nd, 5th and 8th windows; bands, eaves cornice. Right return : similar windows; central Venetian double door having stilted fanlight, bracketed pediment to the window above; bands, eaves cornice. Left return; central door, under 3-pane oblong fanlight; mid C19 bay windows either side; bands at second floor level; eaves cornice. Hipped roof has 4 corniced ashlar stacks across ridges, 3 at rear. West wing has extensive cellars. Interior : cornices to hall and upper hall, dado and C19 balustrade to open well staircase. Room to left of entrance has ceiling decorated with stucco floral motifs, probably by the Rose family. Historical note : the manor became the property of the Ellison family in 1650. (Formerly 2 separate items: Ellison Hall Infirmary and St John's Vicarage).

Listing NGR: NZ3111564160

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 31115 64160


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025194 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 05:30:42.

End of official listing