CO-OPERATIVE BUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1025205

Date first listed: 18-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: CO-OPERATIVE BUILDINGS, DURHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CO-OPERATIVE BUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025205 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 07:09:23.

Location

Statutory Address: CO-OPERATIVE BUILDINGS, DURHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Gateshead (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 27214 55661

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 25 NE BIRTLEY DURHAM ROAD (east side)

12/4 Co-operative Buildings

G.V. II

Co-operative Society H.Q., now shops and offices. 1901 to 1903 by Liddle and Brown of Newcastle for Birtley Co-operative Society. Brick with ashlar dressings; roof Welsh slate with stone gable copings; lead-covered ogee roofs to towers. L-shaped plan. 2 storeys, 22 windows and 8 in left return. Cornice to ground floor shops defined by rusticated pilasters; later boards cover original fascia. First floor; 8 central bays, defined by Ionic pilasters, have sill and impost bands and keystoned arches to 4 pairs of round-headed windows with glazing bars; flanking 3-storey one-bay towers have large round stone canopy on brackets to chamfered and rusticated office entrance; first floor sash in architrave with projecting sill and second floor keystoned ox-eye window under string and eaves cornice. 6 and 6 outer bays have lugged architraves and projecting sills to double sashes, the inner 3 under gables; eaves cornice. Peaks of gables to street and on returns contain 3 small windows in architraves with conjoined sill between ball-finialled shafts on foliage- decorated brackets; similar shafts to foot stones; shell-ornamented segmental pediment at apex on brick panel with blank shield; consoles to pediment and to gable coping. Roof has balustrade over 8 central bays. Source: Daily Leader 21st August, 1901.

Listing NGR: NZ2722155678

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 303768

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
21 August, (1901)

End of official listing