This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

AXWELL PARK AND STEPS AND BALUSTRADES TO SOUTH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: AXWELL PARK AND STEPS AND BALUSTRADES TO SOUTH

List entry Number: 1025206

Location

AXWELL PARK AND STEPS AND BALUSTRADES TO SOUTH, AXWELL PARK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Gateshead

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Nov-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 303771

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 16 SE BLAYDON AXWELL PARK ROAD (south end)

4/6 Axwell Park and steps and balustrades to south.

G.V. II*

Large house 1758 by Paine for Sir Thomas Clavering. Built by John Bell of Durham. Altered 1817 to 1818 by John Dobson. Ashlar; roof of graduated Lakeland slate. 3 storeys; 3, 3, 3 bays x 1, 3, 1. South elevation: cornice to rusticated ground floor; central three bays project under open pediment containing later corbelled arms; blocking course and cornice to a later central porch with rounded corners containing double door under stilted fanlight in recessed arch with voussoirs; tall voussoirs to all ground floor windows. First floor has architrave and bracketed segmental pediment to central window, architrave and bracketed pediment to nos. 2 and 8 and floating cornices to others. Most windows sashes, the attic storey with glazing bars. Modillioned eaves cornice. Right return of first floor windows round-headed, recessed in arches over bracketed balcony from which railings have been removed; segmental bracketed pediment to architrave of central window. Later corbelled coat of arms in top pediment. Roof low-pitched, with 4 ridges having 2 corniced ashlar chimneys on each. Curved coping to balustrade flanking steps to door and curving out to wide corniced rectangular piers supporting coats of arms; pink granite slabs, round- ended, on piers adjacent to porch. Interior: original main staircase removed; principal room has bracketed corniced doorcase and chimney piece, moulded panels.

Listing NGR: NZ1911262042

Selected Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 7 Cleveland Part 13 Durham Part 41 Tyne and Wear,

National Grid Reference: NZ 19112 62042

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025206 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 11:14:20.

End of official listing