Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025212.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 03:53:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:


NZ 36 SE 3/22 25.2.49

BOLDON FRONT STREET (south side) Cleadon

Cleadon House


House. Supposedly 1738 (rainwater heads) for John Dagnia of South Shields, glass manufacturer. Brick with stone dressings; roof of plain tiles. Simple block plan. 2 storeys, 5 windows, including a central Venetian staircase window, all with broad moulded glazing bars, raised surrounds and projecting cills. Plinth, raised quoins; band and coping to parapet of parallel-ridged roof; 4 corniced end brick chimneys. Later porch off-centre; brick with raised quoins and raised surround to door with 6 fielded panels; flat roof. South front to garden has scrolled pediment to central door, moulded architraves to all windows, large oblong fanlights with radial decoration above two side doors; a C19 conservatory encloses the 3 doors. Interior: staircase has dado rail and cornice and a wrought-iron balustrade of c.1750 in a rococo design of leaves, seed-pods and curved bars; the front porch has been inserted beneath this; doors to main rooms in hall have corniced picture-panels; fluted pilasters support an elliptical arch to the narrower section of hall opposite the stairs.

Listing NGR: NZ3832362299


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14265/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].