This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH

List entry Number: 1025244

Location

PARISH CHURCH, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: South Tyneside

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Feb-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 303662

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 46 SW BOLDON CHURCH LANE (west side) Whitburn 4/3 Parish Church (formerly 25.2.49 listed as Whitburn Parish Church)

GV II

Large parish church, C13 with C15 upper stage of tower and C19 restorations, particularly of windows. 5-bay nave with north and south aisles and south porch, 5-bay chancel with north porch; west tower. Ashlar and roughly coursed rubble, all sandstone, and Westmoreland slate roof. Diagonal buttresses to 3-stage tower, clasping to chancel, angle to south aisle and south porch; decorated windows are C19 except for parts of 4 on south side of chancel and one on north; priest's door on south side of chancel blocked in 1867. Nave arcades have plain capitals bearing double-chamfered arches. Almond-shaped window, with glass by L C Evetts of Newcastle, in the west wall of the south aisle. Tomb of Michael Matthew of Cleadon, died 1689, by Wm. Smith; reclining figure of the period, a skull between the feet; contemporary-costumed weepers. Two pre-Reformation bells dedicated to Sts. Mary and Andrew; it is presumably for this reason that the church is sometimes said to be dedicated to either saint; however, its original dedication, if any, is not known.

Listing NGR: NZ4054561679

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 40545 61679

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025244 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 08:56:43.

End of official listing