This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1025247

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CLEADON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: South Tyneside

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Feb-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 303667

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 36 SE BOLDON CLEADON LANE (south side) Cleadon 3/8 Church of All Saints GV II

Parish church. 1869 by R J Johnson, south aisle 1907. Snecked limestone rubble with sandstone ashlar quoins and dressings, high-pitched roofs of Welsh slate with stone coping to nave and aisle, in Early English style. Nave with south aisle and south porch, chancel with 3-sided apse, north transept. 2 windows of 3 lights in nave and aisle; south door in chamfered opening between recessed columns on plinths, with drip mould; 2 buttresses to aisle. Transept has a 2-light window in the gable and an east door with flower stops to a drip-mould. Roof has stone cross finial at west, iron at east; above the chancel a hexagonal timber bellcote with Welsh slate spirelet and iron finial; chimney at the transept gable. Interior: south arcade of 2 wide bays, paintings of Garden of Gethsemane by J Eadie Read of Newcastle c.1914 in spandrels; apse paintings of Christ on the Cross and Christ in Majesty by Michael Hoare of Folkestone in 1967; 2-light west window war memorial by L C Evetts of Newcastle in 1948.

Listing NGR: NZ3858262357

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 38582 62357

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025247 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 08:53:19.

End of official listing