This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GARDINER'S WAREHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GARDINER'S WAREHOUSE

List entry Number: 1025259

Location

GARDINER'S WAREHOUSE, STRAIGHT STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 380634

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5972 STRAIGHT STREET 901-1/42/288 (North side) 01/11/66 Gardiner's Warehouse (Formerly Listed as: BROAD PLAIN (East side) Gardiner's Warehouse)

GV II

Warehouse. 1865. By WB Gingell. Broad Plain elevation 1884. By C James. For Christopher Thomas and Brothers. Rock-faced Pennant ashlar, grey and red Pennant ashlar and rubble, with limestone dressings. Bristol Byzantine style with structural polychromy. 3 storeys; 5-bays. Rock-faced architraves to semicircular-arched doorways beneath recessed semicircular-arched bays set beneath bracketed cornice; to right end is 4-storey block similar to the Broad Street elevation: 4 storeys; 5-window range. A battered plinth of rock-faced Pennant beneath ashlar walls has tall semicircular-arched openings rising to the first floor, with rock-faced voussoirs and a deep impost band; above a plat band the walls are red ashlar articulated by wide pilasters to semicircular-arched recessed bays with dentilled imposts and hoods; the sunken panels have paired second-floor windows with plain ashlar surrounds; squared, coursed rubble above with a plat band and moulded cornice coping; to the centre is a worn panel of an Assyrian Lion (an old trade name) with palmette decoration. On the N corner is a large rectangular tower with narrow round-headed panels, deep imposts and an overhanging coping. INTERIOR not inspected. Originally part of Christopher Thomas and Brothers' soap works. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 363; Somerville J: Christopher Thomas, Soap Maker of Bristol: Bristol: 1991-).

Listing NGR: ST5969673007

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 363
Somerville, J , Christopher Thomas Soap Maker of Bristol, (1991)

National Grid Reference: ST 59696 73007

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025259 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 01:44:49.

End of official listing