THE CARRIAGE WORKS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1025273

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: THE CARRIAGE WORKS, 104, STOKES CROFT

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CARRIAGE WORKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025273 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 22:00:19.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CARRIAGE WORKS, 104, STOKES CROFT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 59139 74029

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5974 STOKES CROFT, Stokes Croft 901-1/36/2037 (East side) 01/11/66 No.104 The Carriage Works (Formerly Listed as: STOKES CROFT (East side) No.104)

GV II*

Carriage works. 1862. By EW Godwin. Squared, coursed Pennant rubble and Pennant and limestone ashlar dressings; roofless. Rectangular plan. Rundbogen style. 3 storeys; 10-window range. Battered rock-faced plinth, ashlar quoins, limestone bands, cornice and alternate voussoirs; 5 wide semicircular ground-floor segmental arches with a C20 ashlar doorway in the centre one with 2-leaf panelled doors; moulded sill bands to the first and second floors below arcades of semicircular arches, moulded impost band and hoodmould on the first, the outer arches slightly pointed, below a corbel table and cornice. INTERIOR: largely gutted. HISTORICAL NOTE: the ground-floor arches were originally open for access by John Perry and Sons' carriages, and the works had a hipped pantile roof with small dormers. Illustrated as such in Winstone. A notable work in a manner recognised as particular to the city. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 371; Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 38; Bristol As It Was: 1866-60: Bristol: 1967-: 79).

Listing NGR: ST5913974029

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 380632

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crick, C , Victorian Buildings in Bristol, (1975), 38
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 371
Winstone, R, Bristol as it Was 1866-1860, (1967), 79

End of official listing