PART OF FORMER HOUSE OF DETENTION, BELOW KINGSWAY COLLEGE CLERKENWELL CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1025279

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1994

Statutory Address: PART OF FORMER HOUSE OF DETENTION, BELOW KINGSWAY COLLEGE CLERKENWELL CENTRE, SANS WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of PART OF FORMER HOUSE OF DETENTION, BELOW KINGSWAY COLLEGE CLERKENWELL CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1025279 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 20:11:22.

Location

Statutory Address: PART OF FORMER HOUSE OF DETENTION, BELOW KINGSWAY COLLEGE CLERKENWELL CENTRE, SANS WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Islington (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 31490 82308

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3182SW SANS WALK 635-1/73/752 (North side) 29/12/50 Part of former House of Detention, below Kingsway College Clerkenwell Centre (Formerly Listed as: SKINNER STREET Hugh Myddelton Secondary School)

II

Former prison. Part of the lowest floor of the former Middlesex House of Detention survives below the playground and main buildings of the former Hugh Myddelton Schools, now Kingsway College Clerkenwell Centre. 1845-1847 by William Moseley; altered during the Second World War for use as an air-raid shelter. Brick, stone and wrought iron. The largest accessible part of the prison is the former female corridor, which runs from the south-west to the north-east, with broad 'transepts' off its middle stages. There are cells off either side of the passage, and elsewhere, and the passage is interrupted but not blocked by later, transverse walls acting as screens; the walls are of brick, the roofs formed of shallow brick arches except for one space in the 'north transept', formerly the warders' hall and clerk's office which has granite columns and wrought iron beams; the floor is generally of stone. The cells have cambered-arched entrances , some remaining metal window grilles, and some cast iron 'eyes' in the wall, presumably for chaining up prisoners. The female corridor was the southernmost range of the prison; to the north of it was a central hall, roughly underneath the hall of the present college building, with male corridors running off to the west, north and east, and a shorter administrative corridor to the south; part of the western corridor is included separately (q.v.), and some parts underneath the present college building are used by the college (q.v.). (Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).

Listing NGR: TQ3149082308

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 369337

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing